Monday, February 25, 2013

With great sorrow


 
Pebbles Nicole Spencer
 
January 30, 1999
 
February 24, 2013






Hello,
In loving memory of our sweet, precious furbaby Pebbles.
Pebbles fought a long and hard battle. She was stubborn to the end. She did things on her terms
and we just went along for the ride. She was one of the sweetest dachshunds ever. When she was born on January 30, 1999, she wasn't the cutest puppy ever. She was born with a black raccoon like mask. A lady that I worked with had made an agreement to purchase a female if Baby gave birth to one and she wanted to name her Pebbles, so she asked if we would call the girl puppy by the name of Pebbles if Baby had a girl. Well, Baby only had a litter of 2 puppies, one boy and girl. So right away the puppies were named Pebbles and Bam Bam. The were wonderful puppies and Baby was
a great little Mama. When they were six weeks old , we took them to the vet to get there first set of shots and to be wormed. The day came for Pebbles to go to her new home. My hubby brought both
puppies to my work that day so Pebbles could go with her new Mommy and to see if anyone would be interested in the super cute Bam Bam. Well, the lady decided to take Bam Bam instead and we brought Pebbles back home. The kids talked me into not running another ad advertising a female dachshund puppy for sale. We did not tell my husband this and when we would ask if anyone had called about buying the puppy we would look at each other and say."No not yet "' Well, about this
time my husband got really sick and was out of work for almost two weeks. Each day he was home with the furbabies all day, the medicine he was taking made him sleep alot and he would take Pebbles
and let her sleep with him. By this time Pebbles was almost 3 months old and hubby had grown very attached to Pebbles and she became attached to him. Dachshunds make wonderful family dogs, but they do choose their human, Pebbles made her chose and it was my husband. Today, I have seen the man that I have loved since I was 15 years old shed buckets of tears and watch him cradle Pebbles in his arms and telling her it was ok, to go to sleep and rest. I have never seen a dog fight like she did, it was like she had such a great and wonderful life and she didn't want to leave. She took her last breath a 5:24 pm this afternoon. She was buried with her blankie, her favorite bones, and three of her most favorite toys. ,

I want to thank all of the ladies who have sent me comments about Pebbles and prayed for us. I want to ask you please to continue to pray for us, especially my hubbie. Like  I said earlier, Pebbles was his girl, he is taking this very hard, in his mind he knows that she is better off now, no pain, and she is running all over Rainbow Ridge with her furMommy and her furDaddy, but in his heart he wishes she was still here. She slept on the pillows behinds his head for over 14 years, and she snored and would get the most comfortable spot even if it meant that his head and neck were in a crazy way and he would wake up with a sore and stiff neck!

Bella is very nervous. She tried to get into the bassinet with Pebbles and we would not let her. Several years ago, we let Bella have a second litter of puppies. The puppies came early and we were all at work. When my husband got home that day, he found Bella with one puppy who had already passed away. He called me and I left work several hours  early but it took me over a hour to get home from work in Winston Salem. He called our daughter who was also at work and she left work early to come home and help Bella. After several more hours another puppy was born, but unfortunately, he also died a few weeks later. I had to wash everything that could possibly have his scent on it because Bella searched the house for him for days. It got so bad that we had to take her to the vet and the vet gave her nerve pills. So, no way we could let Bella see or smell Pebbles. She could  not handle it.

I know that God has a purpose in everything we do. He knew that Pebbles would be bothered by many health issues ahead and that was why she needed to stay with us. Pebbles had back surgery in July of 2005 and had to stay at the emergency vet hospital for over 2 weeks with a bill that was just a little over 3,000.00 and then in September of 2008 she had to have surgery for bladder stones that was 1,000.00. We have been told by friends and family that we were crazy and stupid to spend that much money on a dog and if she was their dog they would have had her put to sleep. We always tell people well Thank God you do not have pets!! We have a sign that says we love our dogs more than we like some humans.

Thank you for letting me share a few stories about Pebbles and the our furbabies with you. Our furbabies are all loved very much!!! We will continue to grieve and mourn the loss of Pebbles. One day we will be able to think about her and talk about her without crying or I hope we can. I still  can not talk about my Baby girl who passed away on December 4, 2010 without crying!
Hugs,
Lynn

13 comments:

Danice G said...

Lynn, so sorry that Pebbles has passed. It sounds like she really did live a wonderful life with you though. Praying for you.

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Continued prayers headed your way. Extra hugs to you and your husband.

The Rusty Thimble said...

Oh Lynn so sorry to hear about pebbles. big hugs and prayers

Brenda

★Carol★ said...

So sorry for the loss of your precious Pebbles. Sounds like she was one great girl. Praying and thinking of you....

BumbleBeeLane said...

Sorry for your loss.You gave her a wonderful life.I know what you mean we have a expensive vet needy dog too and alot of times we put his needs over ours.People just don't get it, they are your responsibility and give more love back than most humans.Big Hugs for you and hubby!~Amy

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Awww..Lynn, I am so sorry that sweet Pebbles lost her battle..but you loved her well, and I know comforted her so much.
HUGS

Holly said...

Oh Lynn, I am so sorry. Pebbles was so well taken care of by you and your husband. I know that she held on for the two of you. I know that you feel very blessed to have had her in your life and I am sure that she felt blessed too. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband during this sad time, Holly

Unknown said...

Lynn,
Oh dear....I am so sorry I saw the title to this post and my heart broke....unfortunately it just takes time before we are ready to let another sweet soul come into our hearts....give your hubby a hug for me...and have him give you one back! You are both in my thoughts and prayers....

Sandy

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Hi Lynn :(
I'm so sorry to see this post tonight. But what a lucky little girl Pebbles was to have had you and your husband as her parents. Really...a dog couldn't ask for any more love than what you give to all of your "little wienees" every single day!
Sending Prayers- Wellie (and Erica)

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Lynn,
I am so very sorry for your loss....She had a wonderful life with your family and she will be waiting for you at The Rainbow Bridge

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Many Hugs,
Deb

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Hello Lynn.
So sorry to hear about Pebbles. She had a good life and a loving family. Continuing to Pray for you and your hubby.
Take Care.

ImagiMeri said...

Please accept my sincerest condolences dear friend. You made Pebbles life that much more precious by all the love and attention you lavished on her. Although her last days were awkward and hard, I'm sure she relished all the extra attention and mobility.

God Bless, and you're in my prayers,
Meri

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I am so sorry. My sweet Mckenzie is having more and more trouble getting up by herself, and I know we are approaching the end. Our babies are just so precious to us, aren't they.